dating and geographics - Updating paper driving licence to photocard for

This is part of a major “red tape” removal policy by the Government as it continues with its drive to digitise motoring records, saving an estimated £8 million.

Drivers will now be able to check their details online using the DVLA’s “View Driving Licence Service” which was launched in 2014: https://uk/view-driving-licence.

For the minority who are unable to access the internet, it will be possible to check their records over the telephone or by making a postal enquiry.

However their paper licence will no longer be used as an up to date record of their endorsements (points etc).

When holders of paper only style licences come to update their name, address or renew their driving licence they will be issued with a photocard only licence.

Driving licences must be renewed every ten years, and there is currently a fee of £14 or £17 in place depending on whether the licence is renewed online or via the post.

A person will be issued with a photocard licence when updating their name or address details free of charge.

If you’re moving abroad, you can’t register your new address on your British driving licence.

Contact the driving licence authority in your new country of residence.You’ll get confirmation email from You can also change the address on your licence by post.The process is different depending on whether you have a photocard or paper driving licence.Complete the ‘changes’ section on letter D741 that came with your licence.You must tell Driver & Vehicle Agency (DVA) immediately of any changes to your name, address or your health.You can update your driving licence by sending it to DVA for amendment. Changes from 8 June 2015 in GB to the paper counterpart of driving licences do not affect driving licences issued by DVA in NI.

Tags: , ,